Monday, April 18, 2016

A Divas Cabaret - Self Promotion

My company, Twin City Squared, is trying something - well not different in the full sense - but something new for us.  I'm producing and directing "A Divas Cabaret" on Friday May 6 at the Fluid Events Center in Champaign, Illinois.  When I started this theatre company, I was looking for ways to expand opportunities for people to perform.  I also was looking for ways for people to perform who don't have the ability to commit to 4 to 6 weeks of rehearsals.  The cabaret seems a perfect format. I also was looking for a way for adults to have a more adult evening - outside of the club circuit here in Champaign-Urbana.  The cabaret seems a perfect format.

For "A Divas Cabaret", we have five amazing female singers - Jenny Carpenter, Kari Croop, Jaclyn Lowenstein, Micah Tryba and Ranae Wilson -  and two "juniors" one a High School senior - Shireen Hassan -  and the other an 8th grader - Maddie Henson.  In setting up the show, I had to answer the question: What makes a person a Diva?  My answer:  a Diva is a strong woman who takes and owns the stage.  She is a dynamic performer who commands your attention.  There is nothing negative about the title Diva, for those that earn it!

What was fun for me was coming up with a list of suggested songs for the performers. I quickly listed 3 double spaced pages!  Some of the songs on my suggested list will be performed.  This song will not be performed, but I love this performance so much, I'm just going to post it here. There is a sort of local connection:  The Mad Hatter is played by Miss Illinois 1997 (and oh yes Miss America 1998)  Kate Shindle.  Ms. Shindle was the original Vivienne in Legally Blonde, the Musical and is the current president of Actors' Equity Association.   In any event, Ms. Shindle just owns this number and the stage.  A real Diva!



There will be two shows on May 6.  Doors open for the first show at 7 and doors should open for the second show about 9.  Food and alcohol will be available for purchase.  Tickets are on sale at www.twincitysquared.com.  You can also find Twin City Squared on Facebook.  Twin City Squared on Facebook.  Please visit the page and "like" it.  

If this first cabaret is successful, then we will plan on having others.  We are looking at a variety of "themes" and are hoping on getting some celebrities - or at least Broadway performers - to come to town for a night.  


No comments:

Post a Comment